Saturday, August 9, 2008

The greenest olympics ever!

really? Here's what I've found so far on my all-things-green-scavenger-hunt:


snazzy public transit


Lots of bikes! (but honestly, I feel like I saw more when I was here three years ago...and it was 20 degrees below zero!)

Beijing recycling program (see the guy squatting with the big yellow bag?)


more dedicated recycling team members:



solar hot water:


A little PV action:


legit recycling


I LOVED this:

I couldn't get a good picture of it but it says, and I quote, 'MUST BUY BIG ACCESSORIES: Fashion plastic! You can wear it to dancing, shopping, no matter. What clothes trend you dress wearing them to be a cool lady.'
I wish I had some fashion plastic so I could be cool lady.

The Beijing C&D waste recycling program


This was a commercial on the subway train TVs


I also overheard some expats on the subway talking about China having really strict environmental policies. Unfortunately when government officials are faced with approving new coal fired plants that they know won't be able to meet regulations, they often approve them anyway because their salaries are based on their GDP.

No comments: