Sunday, August 17, 2008

Early to rise...

I woke up early this morning to "beat the crowds" to the Temple of Heaven.

Security is really only an issue after 8am (when the tourists wake up) so if you're going to sneak something into the subway, do it before 8am...



Then I get there and...


I was really looking for a peaceful morning experience such as this:


But then I come across this:


(sorry, you're going to have to turn your monitor sideways for this one:)


It's like a workout-a-palooza.
The cracking sound in the background of those videos is this lady practicing with her bull whip...don't mess!


Then, finally I make it into the actual temple and ....


ahh... peace.

But, seconds later, it's overrun by tourists. Oh well. Here are my favorite pictures from the temple:





The blue roof tiles are what makes this the temple of heaven (blue=sky, get it?)


(p.s. I'm not posting all my pictures here so if you want to see more, click on any photo and it will take you to my web albums)

More exercising:


translation is tricky business...


I almost put this in the green section, but here's a way to practice your calligraphy...write on the sidewalk with tea:


More from the second temple:


lots of cypress trees


They really do every possible activity you can think of at this park. Chinese people love their morning exercises and it's definitely a public act.

swordfighting

even tap dancing


Then off to a hotel where we hear they are selling tickets. But, of course, no tickets for anything good, so we stand around for a while turning down tickets for boxing, weightlifting, rowing and soccer.

So we have lunch in a massive food court...




The dumbest inefficiency of all is that everywhere you go, they make you buy a debit card with a 50yuan minimum, then you take the card from the cashier to buy whatever it is you want in that section of the store/food court, then you go back to the cashier and cash out whatever money is left on the card. It's a bizarre system with a lot of receipts involved.


...finally, a PBR shout out to my majors ;)
did you know they make 'purified water for drinking'? It doesn't taste much different than the beer.

No comments: